News release for immediate use
Wednesday 1 October 2014
Claudia’s makeover marks charity milestone
In September 2014, Make--A-Wish® UK, the charity that grants magical wishes to children and young people fighting life-threatening conditions, granted its 9000th wish to 15 year old Claudia Wilson. Claudia was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in June 2012. Due to treatment Claudia lost her hair and her body changed, which at 15 was difficult to deal with; so Claudia wished for a special makeover and personal shopping experience at two of her favourite shops - MAC and Topshop!
Claudia, from Rainford, St Helens, travelled to London for the wish. She was picked up from her hotel by a pink limo and taken to MAC in Covent Garden for her makeover. She learnt many new makeup techniques and bought lots of makeup with her spending money from Make-A-Wish. After a spot of lunch, the limo took Claudia and her family to Topshop in Oxford Circus for her personal shopper experience! She tried on and bought various outfits, which gave her a massive confidence boost following a difficult year. The video can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y64Vhn9WQY&feature=youtu.be
Claudia had six months of intensive chemotherapy treatment until January 2013 and then started maintenance chemotherapy which finished in August 2014. Claudia contracted many infections during the first few months of treatment and was put in isolation for three months, which was a very difficult and traumatic time. Claudia is now in remission but will be monitored over the next two years to ensure the cancer does not return.
Claudia’s mum Nicola said: “The wish has made Claudia more confident after everything she has been through - it was such a positive experience. She started treatment as a girl and the wish has shown how she has come out the other side a woman. It was amazing and I am sure the day will help her move on from the last two years.”
There are currently 20,000 children and young people in the UK fighting a life-threatening condition. Make-A-Wish would like to grant 900 wishes this year and needs £7 million to continue granting wishes in the future. This October, Make-A-Wish is encouraging people to sign up to their baking fundraiser, Bake-A-Wish. To sign up and download the fundraising pack click here: http://www.make-a-wish.org.uk/bake/.
~ ends ~
For more information about this news release please contact:
Charlotte Capper: T: 01276 405093 M: 07557563214 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- A video of Claudia’s wish can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y64Vhn9WQY&feature=youtu.be
- More photos available if required and the family are available for interview.
- Please note that Make-A-Wish does not use phrases such as ‘terminally ill’ in order to respect the sensitive nature of life-threatening conditions and what they mean to children and young people and their families. We would ask that this approach is followed and that the term ‘life-threatening conditions’ is used in material for publication.
- Make-A-Wish should be referred to as Make-A-Wish® UK in the first instance.
- Thereafter ‘Make-A-Wish’ or ‘Make-A-Wish UK’ is suitable. We would ask that you try to keep ‘Make-A-Wish’ on the same line.
- Make-A-Wish grants magical wishes to children and young people fighting life-threatening conditions. The charity was founded in the UK in 1986. Registered charity number: 295672/SC037479 www.make-a-wish.org.uk.